Thursday 2 February 2012

Missa Normativa ad orientem



I took the picture from WDPRS blog. It is of a priest in Korea celebrating the Missa Normativa (or Novus Ordo) facing the same way as the people. Last Monday I did this for the first time, and I celebrated in Latin. I enjoyed it! To me it seems the most natural way to celebrate the Mass (do I feel disgruntled looks?). I like both forms of the Latin Mass but I have to say that I felt so relaxed on Monday that I begun to ask myself if this is close to the way we SHOULD celebrate the Liturgy. I am not jumping to any conclusions, nor am I suggesting that all Masses should be celebrated in Latin - I am also aware of the effect of "novelty". I think people should be able to experience all the options allowed to us - celebrating the two forms of the Mass and celebrating in both Latin and English. I also think they should be warned in advance what to expect. I had the sense last Monday that those who attended were not unhappy with the experience. I plan to do this every week now (Monday is my "day off" so no one can really complain!). We will see how things develop.

1 comment:

  1. What a good thing, Father - but I hope your microphone is less intrusive! :)

    ReplyDelete