Thursday 24 February 2011

One of the Best Novels I Have Ever Read!

"Fatherless" is an extraordinary book. When I was away last week resting and praying at the Carmelite Monastery in York, I read the whole 500+ pages in less than five days! It is one of the best analyses of the problems of the contemporary Catholic Church I have ever read. The endorsements are also extraordinary - from Archbishop Chaput, Dr. Janet Smith and Christopher West - and others. It is the first book in a trilogy. I just received the next volume, "Motherless". At the heart of the story is a Catholic priest and three families. It is at times very funny, sad and deeply moving. It felt like good spiritual reading. As Janet Smith remarks, the research is astounding. If you can, I urge you to get it. It is available on Amazon in UK and in America (it is about the U.S. Catholic Church but certainly applies elsewhere). Here is the link to Amazon UK

3 comments:

  1. Someone recently lent me a copy of this book and I confess I'm having a hard time getting into it. Perhaps the timing is bad for I work for the Church and like to read to wind down.

    Instead I pick it up and find all my frustrations right there on that page. Although I'm only a couple chapters in I've found much to beat my breast about even while identifying with the priest-burnout described (although I'm not a priest and thank God from the depths of my soul that He made me a woman!)

    So...I've heard it's wonderful and it carries many recommendations but I will offer this caveat: read it if you're NOT burned out and irritated. (which is why I'm reading "burnout" even though that's really not what's going on.)

    Or...please give me reason to continue and give me the hope that perhaps it will help me find hope in my parish employment (without giving anything away.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think whatver book we pick up -or for that matter whatever DVD we buy - the timing could be wrong as you say. I suppose I took to the book straight away because it begins with a priest saying Mass and speaks about parishioners in a truthful and amusing way - but then, if you are not in the mood for that - and I understand your point - the best thing to do is to wait until you have time. I was away "resting" (feeling a bit burnt-out as it happens), but if I had not had time to relax I might not have read it myself. Still, for all that, it is worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good Fr..I must check i've added you to my links..

    ReplyDelete