Wednesday 29 August 2012

The Beheading of St. John the Baptist

The Beheading of St. John the Baptist by Pierre Puvis De Chavanne
 
I just discovered the above painting and the artist. It was painted in 1869. Perhaps someone has more information (?).
 
This morning, at Mass, during the homily there was a horrendous banging apparently on and around the church roof. At one point it was quite frightening. This began as I started the homily and ended as I finished. It certainly made us "sit up" as they say. I asked someone about it after the Mass. .He said he had never heard anything like it. Another said it was thunder.
 
I my view, St. John the Baptist should be the patron saint of the New Evangelisation (perhaps he is...anyone know?)

1 comment:

  1. Father, It's in Birmingham in the Barber Institute .Here's a perceptive essay by Andrew Graham Dixon :
    http://www.andrewgrahamdixon.com/archive/readArticle/89

    There is also a version in the National Gallery :
    http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/paintings/pierre-cecile-puvis-de-chavannes-the-beheading-of-saint-john-the-baptist

    Kind regards
    Raymond

    ReplyDelete