Monday 18 July 2011

The Liturgy and a recommended book



Yesterday we had an afternoon of prayer in my church organised by the Diocesan Service Committee for the Charismatic Renewal. I spoke on Our Lady and the Holy Spirit. A priest friend of mine came and found a book I had been using in church and had been reading on and off. I first got the book following his recommendation some years ago. He pounced on it and asked me if I was selling it (he did not want it - he has a copy). I started reading it again this morning. It has to be one of the best books ever written on the Mass. It is an old book (and there are some parts you have to forgive!) but extremely well-researched. One of the things it shows is that the 1962 Latin Rite ("Tridentine Rite") is rich with symbolism relating back to the Jewish Temple and synagogue. This does not mean that I am advocating a complete return to the old Latin Rite, but it does remind us that the present "Ordinary" form is lacking in some ways. Some of the things missing in the Missa Normative (Novus Ordo) might eventually be added.


I celebrate the 1962 Rite sometimes and I have actually found it to be more scriptural. I would also say that if anyone wants to know why it is important to keep the 1962 Missal - and to use it - he/ she should get a copy of the above book and work through it. Even without the Latin Rite, this book helps us to appreciate the source and meaning of much that we do in the Liturgy. There are newer books out recently on the Jewish background to the Mass, and I have bought a couple of them. This book is so detailed that I doubt it can be bettered. I see Amazon UK has some used copies for around £5.00. I highly recommend it.

9 comments:

  1. Title of book? I can't get the picture.

    Father John. Please don't go too "traddie". There is plenty of choice in that direction on the Catholic blogosphere.
    The excellent "Catholic Commentary" blog still hasn't returned to the "aether" since he wrote that the blogosphere...
    "has been colonised by inhabitants of EF-land, who seem to have great difficulty in seeing beyond their own borders and interests."
    It is easy to become pre-occupied with these issues when spending time reading blogs but the reality is with your parishioners and not the rather exclusive club that flourishes down the phoneline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "How Christ said the First Mass" by Fr. James L Meagher.

    It has nothing to do with being "trad". I hate these labels. The only one I am interested in is "orthodox", as I have said before. This is not about taking up a position according to anyone's likes or dislikes, it is about recognizing the truth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Father
    I did attend yesterday and would very much like a copy of the book, if you could kindly bring some along to the Carmelites next week. I do enjoy hymn singing when it is done well and some old hymns are truly inspirational , but however sincerely rendered, most modern hymns simply fail to inspire me at all .But each to their own as long as we are making our prayers!

    As a student of the Old Testmant I am greatly encouraged and happy to connect the latest version of the mass with the Scriptures.The OT is a tricky subject and at times has been neglected, but it is the Bible Jesus read and it is very important that it is understood in order for the NT to be properly undertsood.
    As a forner Anglican and soemone who finds the Book of Common Prayer a thing of great beauty, and who also uses the pre Vatican 11 prayer book at mass, which it is entirely possible to follow!
    I hope that the New Mass will answer all thes
    issues,

    barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Father, this book sounds excellent and might be just what I am looking for. I have learned a bit about the Jewish roots of Catholicism through Bible study, it is a richly rewarding study. I'll see if I can find this book here in the US. Thank you for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, labels are a distraction. I apologise.
    That is why I put "traddie" in inverted commas.
    A foolish term, I agree, like Catholic Taliban, but some bloggers, including priests, seem to revel in being identified as such.

    You write:

    "This is not about taking up a position according to anyone's likes or dislikes, it is about recognizing the truth".

    Our Catholic in-fighting on liturgy, Vat II or the wonderful mystical tradition, is surely not "the truth".

    The ultimate expression of truth is found in Jesus who said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life..." (John 14:6).

    "See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ," (Col. 2:8).

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'Our Catholic in-fighting on liturgy, Vat II or the wonderful mystical tradition, is surely not "the truth"'.

    Tim, this shows that you have seriously misunderstood my meaning. I am certainly not saying that any kind of "in-fighting" is the truth. I AM saying that when the truth is discovered it must be recognised and also that we are supposed to tell the truth, so in saying what I said about my understanding and appreciation of the EF I am merely telling the truth. This is not "in-fighting". When I say that the above book relates more to the EF than to the Ordinary Form, I am simply telling the truth, not making a political or partisan point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello again Father John.

    No, I hadn't misunderstood your very good post on this book which I shall read. I was referring to OTHERS in-fighting. Your blog is an oasis of sense in this electronic world.

    I was not questioning your position but confirming it, but it is not easy to frame a comment to successfully convey one's meaning.
    I should have said:
    "Catholic in-fighting on other areas of the blogosphere is surely not "the truth" as you have previously stated in earlier blogs".

    On checking just now to see if my comment had arrived, I expected to be commended for my orthodox faith!
    Ah! Academic Pride! It will be my downfall.
    Kind Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fr John..I thought Tim was coming from the same angle as you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry Tim.
    Your comment (this last one) for some reason went into the "spam" area! Anyway I found it.

    ReplyDelete