Saturday 30 April 2011

A Spledid Occasion - The Royal Wedding

I did not watch all the preamble, nor the post-reports, but I watched the whole ceremony itself, and I found it quite moving and splendid. The English do this kind of thing so well. In the midst of all the fashion, the celebrity spotting, the wall-to-wall reporting etc, the wedding itself was beautifully staged and celebrated by the bishops, dean and cathedral staff. The choir was superb, the choice of music both expected and unexpected (and well chosen). There is only one perfect wedding really and that is between Christ and His Church, and it could be said that it is - for now on earth - a rather one-sided affair, so all weddings have their idiosyncrasies and "problems". As a spectator, this was one of the best weddings I have ever seen. I found it deeply spiritual and quite moving. I was especially impressed by the bride's brother (?) who read the lesson and the Bishop of London who delivered an excellent sermon. At the heart of all the splendour there was and remains real substance and I thank God for that.

8 comments:

  1. I agree Father John, I totally embraced the whole ceremony. Please offer a prayer for me. I have picked up alcohol again.It now decides, my actions. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was awesome Father. The music, the readings, The Homily,the fanfares, all timed to perfection. Yet, it was a very warm touching occasion.
    Thank you for your positive post Father.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will pray for you also shadowlands.

    I Criost

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shadowlands - I sent you an email.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two points on the Wedding service.
    The Anglican Bishop's Royal Wedding Address seems to have impressed people of different denominations.
    Some have criticised the use of the hymn Jerusalem but the words of Jerusalem were not written to be taken literally. William Blake was influenced at the time by the mystic Emanuel Swedenborg.
    We should be pleased that we had two mystics in that service- Catherine of Siena and Blake. I wonder how many people realised this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not have a problem with "Jerusalem" providing it is properly understood and introduced. The legend of Glastonbury and other early British Christian legends do not spoil the intent of the peom/hymn. Blake's verses begin with a question, not a statement, but a statement of intent is contained in the second verse; a wonderful, biblical and courageous expression of the determination to seek the will of God in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exactly Father John!

    A question is asked.

    And did those feet in ancient time.
    Walk upon England's mountains green:
    And was the holy Lamb of God,
    On England's pleasant pastures seen?

    And did the Countenance Divine,
    Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
    And was Jerusalem builded here,
    Among these dark Satanic Mills?

    Bring me my Bow of burning gold;
    Bring me my Arrows of desire:
    Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
    Bring me my Chariot of fire!

    I will not cease from Mental Fight,
    Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand:
    Till we have built Jerusalem,
    In England's green & pleasant Land

    And the answer is WE are Christ's body, his feet and hands. WE must build the new Jerusalem.

    Thank you for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete