Thursday 4 December 2008

The Title

"Stella Maris" (Star of the Sea) is my favourite Marian title. The Catholic Church - in fact all Christians - are in the midst of a storm. The Mother of Christ is given to us as a special guiding light to help us steer through the darkness.
I don't mean to sound too negative. These are challenging days and there is much to be joyful about. I just recently learned how to celebrate the old Latin Rite (1962 Missal). After 33 years it came as both a shock to the system and a revelation. It has been difficult to put into words.

I was once a rigid opponent of the Tridentine Rite and thought those who wanted it were a bit "strange". I never thought I would one day celebrate it, and I am deeply grateful for the opportunity to do so. The truth is I find the celebration of the 1962 Latin Rite very moving, and I am still trying to understand why. It is not just me; some of those who have started attending also say it is a moving experience. My server is a young married man who became a Catholic only six years ago and who had no experience or knowledge of Latin prayers or any other Liturgy than the ordinary form. His young wife comes to the Mass and she is as devoted as her husband to the Latin Rite. I am still on a learning curve. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment